The best braised beef recipe to serve your family
Here is the best braised beef recipe and it’s step by step process through which you can serve the mouthwatering and melting beef to your family. This recipe makes the beef so tender that it will leave the bones right into your hands. A classic beef dish, this braised beef recipe will never let you down on any family or formal occasional.
You might also like our other Dinner options.
How to perfectly braise beef at home?
A perfectly braise beef being a key element in your planned feast isn’t a surprise. As it one of the most famous beef recipe out there, often mistook for not that classy.
Let me tell you, nothing can be more delicious and full dinner option alone. Let’s try this recipe and see how this adds up to the flavors of your dinner table tonight?
So, the lucky winner of all recipes; THE BRAISE BEEF
Let’s plan an awesome and mouthwatering dinner of braised beef at home for family. So, the next question is to cook braised beef so that maximum time could be spent on table with them? Key purpose to sit down with family is spend quality time eating and sharing the things happened over the week.
Best strategy would be to prepare beforehand and choose braise beef which everyone would love and won’t take your arm in preparation.
The usual method
Braised beef usually cooks over a low flame for extended hours so all of the natural flavors could immerse. These flavors mix into the ingredients making the recipe loved by almost every meat lover. The more time you can give the meet to cook the more it will taste better.
Before digging right into the recipe, I find it really interesting how braised beef has been around for so many years. And why it’s been so much famous among us.
The technique of slow cooking meat or vegetable on a low flame is used to enhance all of the flavor notes and meat texture just like smoothies. Now digging a bit deeper into this cooking technique and some interesting facts about it;
What braising actually is?
Over the period of time as many other culinary techniques have improved and revamped braising is no different. In early seventeen- and eighteenth-century braising was the simple transformation of heating meat and then shredding it into the same liquid. The liquid which it has been seared for hours.
However, with time, in modern culinary concept, braised beef is being cooked in any form of dry heat (oil or oven) and then smeared into the liquid.
Is braised beef just heating and simmering?
Braising has many forms and techniques entirely dependent upon the fact in which geographical area it’s from. For example, in some parts of Russia braised beef is being mostly consumed into the stews making it a bit into the liquid form. Whereas, in most parts of United Stated braising is not specified to just beef or a particular beef cut.
Braising can be done to smaller or larger meat cuts or even to vegetables. Cooked through a variety of mediums ranging from water, heat, oil, juices or meat stocks braising can be done through all.
You don’t like your food solid; braising is here to help
Unlike every other form of cooking in which meat didn’t change its shape entirely, be it Bar B Q, oven or frying. You fry or grill a meat piece and its initial form is still intact in post cooking. But you can’t say the same for braising. After you braise beef it not only changes its form but you can change the consistency of the liquid form according to its use.
Want to serve it to kids? Fine just make it a bit finer. Want to serve braised beef to an older one? Let’s cook it till meat is so tender it will split just by squeezing lightly by index finger.
Hoe to Braising; it’s just like cheese – the more the better
Who doesn’t appreciate a time-tested cheese? Just like the older cheese the better the taste braise beef is richer in taste if it’s been cooked for extended hours? For starters it may be an overwhelming process.
However, starting with simpler and shorter cuts like short ribs will make it a lot easier for all my noobs out there. Just don’t let yourself taken aback by the time it takes, keep it simple. Follow exact instructions and enjoy the process.
Braising beef is just so satisfying
Just as baking is the cure for anxiety for many. Braising is just another part of it cherishing the soul of the food. By carefully cooking beef for hours and then transforming its entire form is nothing short of satisfying.
Step by Step Instructions
- Choose the right part of beef to be braised in this case I will prefer the meat from the shoulder as it will tenderize pretty quick and have long tissues to give it a perfect braised look
- Cut the shoulder part into small bite-sized pieces so these can be easily cooked in a skillet. Just to make sure you avoid any cuts or bruises use only a high-quality kitchen knife
- Put all these pieces into skillet and shallow fry in butter and olive oil. I always advise using butter and oil in the same ratio as butter tends to enhance the natural flavor of food.
- Right when you notice beef discoloration get the beef out of the pan into a separate plate and add white chopped onions (you can cut them in slices it’s entirely your choice) till they turn translucent
- Grab an oven pot and add cooked beef pieces, sautéed onion, spice mixture (the one mentioned in ingredients), and chopped garlic pressed and finely squeezed with a Garlic presser
- Heat over the pan on an over-the-top cooking range and cook beef for one hour. After the beef is tender remove and places the pan inside the gas oven at 350 Fahrenheit for about an hour and a half.
- To make sure I don’t forget I usually use this kitchen timer which makes it super easy for me to get a perfect recipe.
Ingredients for Braised Beef
Ingredients for braised beef recipe
- Beef (Shoulder cut) finely cut into 2-inch pieces
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Red wine/ red grape juice
Dry Spice Mix for Braised Beef
- Cumin powder
- Paprika powder
- Black paper powder
Sides to serve with Braised Beef
All Good? Now decide upon the complementary sides with Braised Beef
All of these sides can complement braise beef really well to balance and provide low-carb options
- Steamed brown rice
- Brown pasta
- Fresh green salad
Best braised beef recipe to serve your family
- Dutch Oven (recommended)
- Chef Knife
- Separate plate
- Over the top Cooking Range
- Kitchen Timer
- Garlic Press Stainless Steel
- Kitchen laser thermometer
- 3½ lb Beef (Shoulder cut) 2-inch pieces
- 6 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 2 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (or add to taste)
- 1 medium Onion Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¾ cup red wine
- ½ cup Water
- Make sure to cut beef in similar size cubes about 2-inch each cube to make it look perfectly professional.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until it's heated enough to stir beef pieces. Add in beef cubes and stir fry unless nice golden brown in color.
- Remove beef from the skillet pan and fry in the same oil as beef cubes. Keep on cooking the onions unless it changes its color to transparent.
- In a Dutch Oven add in all the aromatic flavorings in the same order.
- Gloden brown beef cubes, cumin powder, paprika powder, salt, and black pepper. After adding in all the spices let it simmer for a minute then add pressed garlic and half sauteed onion.
- Add in red wine and water. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for about a couple of hours. Make sure the temperature is around 350°F so the beef could be as tender as required.
Complimentary sides with Braised BeefAll of these sides can complement braise beef really well to balance and provide low carb options
- Steamed brown rice
- Brown pasta
- Fresh green salad