Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Easy
A perfect recipe for a delicious chicken pot pie. This easy crock pot chicken pot pie recipe is made with homemade pie crust and a rich, creamy filling that’s packed with fresh vegetables. An easy-to-make perfect chicken pot pie recipe.
This deliciously creamy crockpot chicken pot pie recipe is bound to impress your family. Make this recipe with minimum ingredients and enjoy the dinner. An excellent main course option to your dinner list.
You may like this chicken chipotle recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is a great winter chicken dinner recipe. This recipe takes about fifteen minutes of prep time and eight minutes of cooking time.
This creamy chicken and vegetable mix is cooked in the slow cooker and topped with freshly baked biscuits. To make this slow cooker chicken pot pie I started spraying our crockpot with cooking spray. After crock cooking, I added some diced onions to the pot.
What is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken pot pie is a comfort food dish that consists of a pastry crust with a filling made from chicken, vegetables, and cream or milk. The pastry crust usually has a flaky texture.
The origins of this traditional dish are unclear but it is believed to have been created in America in the 1800s. There are many different recipes for chicken pot pie which have evolved over time and they vary in ingredients like the type of pie crust used, what kind of meat (chicken, turkey, beef), and vegetable (carrots, potatoes) used for the filling and how much milk or cream added to the filling to make it creamy or not.
Why cook chicken pot pie?
Chicken pot pie is a dish with various interpretations, but the most popular ingredients include chicken, vegetables, rice or noodles, and a pie crust. The most common reason people cook chicken pot pies is to stretch their grocery budget.
Chicken pot pies are usually cooked in an oven because you can’t boil them on the stove due to the risk of overflow.
How To Prepare The Dough & Butter for the Crust
Before you start, make sure to have your butter at room temperature. Soften it at room temperature by leaving it out on the counter for 30 minutes before using it.
The first step is to cream the butter and sugar together until they are fluffy. This will be your base for the crust.
Next, you will need to take a bowl and mix in your eggs, vanilla extract or almond extract, milk, and flour until well combined. The dough should be soft but not sticky to the touch. It will need to be refrigerated before it can be rolled out into a crust so that’s what you’ll do now.
How to Cut up the Vegetables for pot pie
- To cut up the vegetables, use a sharp knife and a cutting board. To prepare the dough, mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and add to bowl with dry ingredients.
- Add water as needed until dough can form a ball. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- After 20 minutes, knead it again for 5 minutes before rolling it out onto the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- The recipe is easy to follow and there are detailed instructions about how to cut up the vegetables before cooking them in the pot pie after you have rolled out the dough on your baking sheet!
How to Cook the Chicken Breast on the Stovetop
The first step is to take a frying pan and heat it on the stove. Place the chicken breasts on the frypan and lightly drizzle olive oil over them. Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat. Make sure to turn the chicken every 2 minutes so it cooks evenly. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
Cooking chicken pot pie in a crockpot
Cooking chicken pot pie in the crockpot is often considered one of the most difficult dishes to make. If you are feeling too lazy to cook, the crockpot is an excellent alternative.
For this recipe you will need:
- Your favorite pie crust recipe or store-bought crusts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more if desired)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian pie)
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken (white and dark meat)
Baking Instructions For The Crust & Filling Mixing Instructions for the Filling
Mix the filling ingredients together in a bowl, then pour into the pie crust.
1. In a bowl, mix the filling ingredients together
2. Pour the filling into the pie crust
Storage instructions for Chicken pot pie
This recipe is for a classic American chicken pot pie. The ingredients used in this particular recipe are all everyday and readily available things that can be found at any grocery store.
The first thing you need to do is wait for the pie crust to thaw out, so don’t try to work it too soon, or else it will break apart before you have a chance to work it.
Once the dough has thawed out, roll it out on a floured surface so that you have an even sheet of dough with no breaks in it.
Transfer the sheet of dough onto your pie dish and use your fingers to press down around the sides, then cut off any extra dough with scissors or a knife.
Place the pie dish into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
Serving options for pot pie
Crock pot chicken pot pie easy recipe is a whole meal on its own. The wholeness of chicken, heavy cream, and vegetables makes this a completely balanced meal for all age groups. Anything on a lighter side like blanched or stirred vegetables, caesar, or fresh greens are excellent side options complementing this dish.
Crock pot chicken pot pie
- Dutch Oven
- Foil Paper
- baking sheet
- 2 disk Pie Crust (chilled)
- 4 cups Shredded Chicken
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 medium Yellow/White Onion (nicely chopped)
- 2 medium Carrots (thinly sliced)
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (pressed)
- ⅓ cup Flour (all-purpose)
- 2 cup Chicken Broth (homemade)
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Sea Salt (for gravy and garnish)
- 2 tbsp Black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 cup Green Peas (frozen directly add do not thaw)
- ¼ cup Parsely (freshly chopped)
- 1 medium Egg (for egg wash )
- Heat up the Dutch oven (recommended for best results) or a deep pot and add 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter on a medium flame.
- Add in shallots or chopped white onion along with diced carrots to get soften. Do not overcook the vegetables and it will ruin the state and pot pie will have mushy like the texture of vegetables.
- Add more vegetables, aromatic garlic (pressed), and sharply sliced mushrooms until soft enough.
For Making a thick Gravy
- Measure ⅓ cup of flour and add in the sauteed vegetables. Stir for about a couple of minutes and pour in chicken broth. Let the broth simmer for a few minutes as will thicken the gravy. Get your desired thickness. Do not let it thick too much or it will form a hard pudding.
Add in flavoring
- In the thick gravy add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to state. Add in seasoning generously as it pie crust will make it a bit mild so adjust accordingly.
- When the gravy is done add in 4 cups of shredded chicken and frozen green peas and chopped parsley. Stir everything well and remove the pilot from the flame. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Get chilled pie crust and roll with a pin to fit in the 9-inch pie pan. Fill in the pot pie mixture with a spoon over the button crust.
- Cover the pot pie with a top crust and crimp the wedges to seal the pie filling in.
- Place the pie into the oven at 450 Fahrenheit for half an hour or unless golden brown.