Basic Chipotle Chicken Copycat Recipe
Grill the chipotle chicken ahead and reheat on busy weeknights, or keep in the ripen marinade of chips and then heat the grill afterward. Serve chipotle chicken with Mexican slaw or put in a good salad, taco, or pasta dish. Chicken Grilled Chipotle Recipes – is so simple yet full of amazing flavor; smoky spicy and deep – I forgot what great food it was! Grilled chips are wonderful eaten in Tacos burrito bowls salads and wraps or served alone with grilled corn or vegetables. A super tasty all-around flavor bomb that gets your taste buds happy!
Copycat Chipotle Chicken
Making a Chicken chipotle copycat recipe at home is all about cherishing family time without leaving home. With mouthwatering flavors bursting on your tongue, spices like cumin, chile, onion, and garlic make the perfect blend of taste. Making the chipotle recipe at home can be very easy. This recipe starts with the basic homemade marinade and is healthier than the ones we usually eat outside. Another plus is that it won’t cost as much as you usually do. This chipotle chicken recipe which you will be making right at home will taste a lot better than the real thing.
White meats and poultry are commonly liked in chipotle flavor but you can also make this with heavier meats. For meats other than dairy you have to follow the same recipe with the change of meat. Check this braised beef recipe for other meat options.
Mexican Grilled Chipotle
The chipotle chicken recipe is loved when grilled and called Mexican grilled chipotle. I will be explaining the recipe on the grill and on the skillet both. It’s up to your own choice to choose. Grilled or on the pan, both methods bring the same goodness of taste. Cooking the chicken faster on a higher flame will pack its natural flavor.
PRO TIP: Cook the chicken at a high temperature. Cooking chicken at the higher flame with cook the outside quickly sealing all the moisture and making chicken tender and a lot juicier.
The process of making the copycat chipotle chicken is very simple. Grill the marinated chicken or cook it over the pan. Remove it and cut the chicken into pieces according to the recipe or main dish you will be making with it. Whether you grill, bake or saute the chicken, every method brings out its own flavor with grilled being my favorite.
Making the magical chipotle marinade
The magical smokey and spicey flavors of chipotle chicken are the product of the two most important Mexican ingredients. The magic of chipotle is in the sun-dried ancho chiles and the most famous adobo sauce.
To create chipotle flavor (pick your favorite one)
- Use these Ancho Chile powder which is a standard in restaurants
- Ground dried ancho chiles at home for your own ancho chile powder
- Soak ancho chiles in water to make a paste (taste of this is a winner when compared to using powder)
Chipotle Marinade using ancho chile powder
- To use ancho chile powder get the ingredient from the link above or ground your own at home.
PRO TIP: While making ancho chile powder at home make sure to remove stems and seed.
- The quantity which we will be using in the chipotle recipe is one-fourth cup or 2 oz of ancho chile powder.
Chipotle Marinade using soaked ancho chiles
Overnight soaking: you will be soaking dried ancho chilies for at least 12 hours. I will recommend using these kitchen gloves while removing seeds and stems. You may include seeds if you prefer an extra hot flavor, I usually remove seeds as my kids do not like spicy food.
Quick soaking method: For a quick soak you can put a handful of chilies in a small bowl. Add water and get it into the microwave. Microwave the soaked chilies for about a couple of minutes and it will bring almost a similar result.
Making the chipotle chicken copycat recipe
The original restaurant-style chipotle recipe does not include red onions. However, I have tried both, with and without onion and the recipe with onion tastes a lot better. I will not bring any recipe to you that is anything but tastier so I include onions.
- Get all the marinade ingredients together in the blender and blend it till it forms a creamy paste.
- Pour the blended marinade in an air-tight container or a Ziploc bag so it won’t lose its fumes. Make sure to leave enough space for the chicken to soak in later.
PRO TIP: Always use skinless and boneless chicken thigh pieces for chipotle chicken. They make juicer and tastier recipes.
3. Add chicken pieces and rub in the marinade so no corner is left without the marinade.
4. Leave the marinated chicken for about half an hour so spices get absorbed real nice.
Best uses for chipotle chicken
Chipotle chicken is loved in burritos, salads, tacos, or even white rice if you are cutting on your calories.
Alternate ingredient for adobo sauce
What if you can’t get your hands on adobo sauce? I’ve got you covered with this perfect alternate for adobo sauce;
- Tomato paste 1 tablespoon
- Cider vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Chipotle powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin ½ teaspoon
- Oregano to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Alternate for chipotle powder (cayenne and smoked paprika ½ teaspoon each )
Mix all of the above really well in a bowl with a fork and enjoy your own adobo sauce to use in the chipotle marinade.
Ingredients for Chicken Chipotle
- Medium red onion ½
- Garlic cloves 3-4
- Adobo sauce 2 tablespoon
- Ancho chile powder 2 tablespoon / soaked ancho chilies 1 oz.
- Ground cumin seeds 2 teaspoon
- Dried Oregano 2 teaspoon
- Freshly ground Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Skinless and boneless Free Range Chicken 4 pounds
Directions for Chipotle Recipe
- Marinade making: Blend red onions, fresh adobo sauce, garlic, cumin seeds, dried oregano, salt, and pepper in an electric blender. I use a powerful electric blender as my kitchen companion. Blend everything together until it forms a smooth paste.
- Pour the marinade in a large nonfreezable Ziploc bag and add chicken pieces. Rub chicken with marinade paste unless the paste evenly covers each chicken piece.
- Let the chicken marinate in marinade paste in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Cooking the chicken for the chipotle chicken recipe
In restaurants, they always grill the chicken for chipotle. I am going to write down all the options you can avail at home to make the perfect chipotle chicken at home.
- Cooking the chicken in a skillet (recommended if you don’t have a grill pan or oven).
- The outdoor gas grill is the best option, with a lot less mess to clean up later.
- Baking the marinated chicken in an oven by covering it with foil for more juicy chicken
- Get your chicken cooked and cut in thin slices or half-inch pieces depending upon the use.
Have you tried this recipe?
Have you tried this copycat chipotle chicken recipe at home? Let me know how tasty it was here or comment right below to let me know.
Don’t forget to share the love by sharing and saving the recipe on Pinterest.